X-rail is angled

Support for the CO2 Laser Products

X-rail is angled

Postby scott216 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:26 pm

I just got my 5th gen hobby laser. The X- rail is angled compared to the rest of the unit; it's about an inch off of square. Is this normal? If not, how should I fix it?
Scott
Hobby Laser 5th Generation 40 watt
Retina Engrave running Windows 7
scott216

Re: X-rail is angled

Postby fullspeceng » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Please send a picture to support@fslaser.com. Likely you just need to loosen the coupler the pull it into square.
fullspeceng
Site Admin

Postby scott216 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:58 pm

fullspeceng wrote:Please send a picture to support@fslaser.com. Likely you just need to loosen the coupler the pull it into square.

I sent the picture to support. I did loosen the coupler and tried to square it up, but there doesn't seem an obvious way to get it square except by eyeballing it. I don't see a way to reference off anything. Are there any tricks to doing this? Also, I don't see how this could have become so out of square during shipping. Both flex couplers were nice and tight and all the ty-raps were secure. The right side was about 1" closer to the front of the laser then the left side. The bracket that's used for the homing sensor wouldn't even reach the sensor before the left side jammed up.

Also, the red alignment laser was so loose in the bracket it fell out.
Scott
Hobby Laser 5th Generation 40 watt
Retina Engrave running Windows 7
scott216

Postby fullspeceng » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 pm

We loctite all the couplers and test for squareness when it's built but sounds like Fedex took your shipment for a spin and tumble but luckily it's easy to adjust with just the included hex keys. We use an alignment jig when building the machines but if one comes in for repair we use 123 blocks off the front of the laser (where the red plate is). The X rectangular carriers are machined flat. You can also just measure off the back with a measuring tape but then you need two people (one to hold the measuring tape and one to move it into position and tighten). Check the distances to the two X rails are the same from the left hand side (again easily adjusted through 1 screw).
fullspeceng
Site Admin

Postby pakrat77 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Mine was off too, but not that bad. I loosened the front right mount just until it moved and ran the the gantry to the front. This pulled it in to alignment and I tightened it back down. Probably not the best way to do it, but it worked.
pakrat77

Return to CO2 Laser Products