Adjusting belt + wheels on Hobby laser for Best Performance

Support for the CO2 Laser Products

Adjusting belt + wheels on Hobby laser for Best Performance

Postby fullspeceng » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Previously we advised customers to loosen belt tension on the 40w hobby laser if the laser head skips during fast X motion during rastering.

We have determined that it is much better to adjust the plastic wheels which allows for tight belt tension but low friction to prevent skipping.

We are updating instructions and videos but in the meantime please read the following and email support@fslaser.com if you have questions.

Theory: The laserhead has 4 plastic wheels. These attach to an eccentric pin through a small Phillips (crosshead) screw. If you rotate these eccentric pins then it will tighten or loosen against the aluminum X axis rail. These eccentric pins are held in position by a set screw with a hex head 90degrees from the top Philips screw. Remove the setscrew before attempting to adjust the eccentric pins. The eccentric pins need to be adjusted by inserting an extremely short FLAT head screwdriver through the BOTTOM. If you adjust the crosshead screw from on top it will have extremely limited motion for adjustment. Tighten the top crosshead screw then do all further adjustments from the bottom. To remove the pins, turn from the bottom to loosen then push from the bottom to remove.

Use a mirror to view under the laserhead so you know what you are trying to achieve. There are 4 FLAT head screws. Use a SHORT eyeglass type flat head screwdriver like this: http://tinyurl.com/3e9htmp Once you have the right screwdriver it is very easy to turn the eccentric pin (after removing the set screw).

1) Loosen the 4 eccentric pins by using the short screwdriver from the bottom. The laserhead will not be clamped to the X axis gantry anymore.
2) Adjust the top 2 eccentric screws so they that the laserhead is straight with the X axis. Since they are eccentric you want the laserhead platform straight otherwise the belt will be pulled at a angle.
3) Adjust the bottom 2 eccentric screws so that the laserhead is as loose as possible but all 4 wheels are just barely still rolling.
4) Insert the 4x set screws with the hex heads back and tighten. Note that by putting the set screws back in it will tighten the eccentric pins slightly so that is why we say adjust as loose as possible but still rolling in step 3.
5) Test it out and ensure the X axis is not binding during rastering. If you would like you can insert some WEAK thread locking glue on the screws.
6) We sell replacement wheels for low cost so email support@fslaser.com if your wheels develop flat spots on them.

By adjusting the eccentric pins we have found we can tighten the X axis belt as much as we want (we recommend a bit less tight than a guitar string) but still have no binding.

The eccentric pins will slip over time so adjusting them is the key to optimal engraving performance on the hobby laser. Threadlocking glue will hold it in longer but may make it harder to adjust.

The professional series lasers have carriages with steel ball bearings and ground precision ways so do not have these types of issues.
fullspeceng
Site Admin

Re: Adjusting belt + wheels on Hobby laser for Best Performa

Postby fullspeceng » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:50 pm

We have updated the documentation with pictures here: http://www.fullspectrumengineering.com/ ... stment.pdf
fullspeceng
Site Admin

Postby coopdog02 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:55 am

My machine seems to move fine on the horizontal X axis. However, it tends to skip or more accurately get "stuck" in the Y axis. It is rare during an actual run but happens regularly when I am centering the job and trying to run the outline or perimeter of the design. If I go point-by-point it gets stuck when trying to move down to the bottom right corner. It makes a loud sound as if the motor is still trying to move but it stays in the same spot. Then it will move horizontal fine and even moves upward fine in the Y direction. It only seems to be when it is moving downward in the Y direction. The same thing happens when I try to run the full perimeter scan. Always gets stuck moving downward to the lower right corner.

Any ideas?

Sorry if this is posted somewhere I tried a quick search before posting.
coopdog02

Postby fullspeceng » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:15 am

Y axis getting stuck is usually due to slippage on the Y axis coupler to the motor. Check this near the front of the machine under the bar. Tighten it up and it should be ok.
fullspeceng
Site Admin

Postby Brad » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 am

I am having the same problem problem with the "move to" command on my machine as well. The X direction moves fine, but the Y direction is just sitting in place while the stepper seems to be slipping phases. I checked the coupling to the motor and it is secure, as well as the ways moving smoothly by hand.

Is is possible to slow down the Y stepper when using the "move to" command to alleviate this problem?
Brad

Postby fullspeceng » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Rapid speeds are controlled in the config.xml file under engraving acceleration but should not need to be modified. Perhaps your Y axis gantry has slipped slightly out of square. Loosen the Y axis coupler and check that the left and right side are square then retighten. Also let us know the software revision and we can check it on our internal machine to see if it was recently introduced software bug.
fullspeceng
Site Admin

Postby Brad » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:56 am

Thank you for the response. I am using Retinaengrave3D version 4.199 for windows. I am also using the Windows XP Prerequisite Pack. I will check the belt tensions as you suggest.
Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:07 am

I checked the Y stage belt tensions, and from what I could see, nothing looked out of place. I also looked for the config file, but wasn't able to find it anywhere on the system. Would there be any other suggestions I could follow up?
Brad

Postby senjak » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:19 pm

fullspeceng wrote:We have updated the documentation with pictures here: http://www.fullspectrumengineering.com/ ... stment.pdf

Is there a list of other useful documents that are online?

Senjak
My day today? Nothing major, just Xenon base gone, Scorpio gone,
Tarrant dead, Tarrant alive and then I found out Blake sold us out.
senjak

Next

Return to CO2 Laser Products