Contest: Free Replacement Laser Tubes for Life!

Support using the FSE Direct Inkjet Print PCB Products

Re: Contest: Free Replacement Laser Tubes for Life!

Postby niftycurly » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:03 am

niftycurly_leather-masks.jpg

We've been making leather masks with our 40W FS laser that would be entirely too difficult/time consuming/delicate to accomplish with traditional leather working tools.
Masks are laser cut and/or etched in about 5 minutes from 4-5 oz vegetable tanned leather then wet formed over face shaped molds.
Once dry we hand paint with leather paints. Customers often reported that these are the most comfortable masks they've ever worn.
Every run sells out quickly!
niftycurly

Postby Curkin459 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 am

This is a Mario Brothers fire power ring I made for my wife for Valentine's day. Turned out really cool! This is cut from 1/8" acrylic. I also made a pair of earrings and a card that is the same flower but larger and in a pot. I will post those soon!! Hope you enjoy this as much as my wife did!
Attachments
4.jpg
Curkin459

Postby tinkeringmonkey » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:59 pm

LED / green edged cast acrylic sign, edge lit from inside the walnut base:
Back
Switch (not fully varnished in this photo)
Illuminated

There are a few more process photos on my blog: http://www.tinkeringmonkey.com/site/a-killer-light-up-sign-for-the-porkchop-sandwiches-crew/
Last edited by tinkeringmonkey on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinkeringmonkey

Postby Curkin459 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 am

This was a Valentine's day card I made for my wife. It is the Mario Brothers Fire Power Flower. I engraved the card on the back of the flower on the black acrylic holding the pieces together, but you can't see that ;) I painted the pot green and cut the rest of the pieces from 1/8" acrylic. It is friction fit in the pot using circle cuts of acrylic on the bottom of the pot and top, just below the rim. Enjoy!
Attachments
2012-02-14_06-35-48_634.jpg
Curkin459

Postby davep » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 pm

I'd like to offer my project for Feb - I'm working on a low-cost Braille display for computers. Thanks to the laser cutter at our Victoria BC Makerspace, I was able to do a prototype fast and accurate made out of 3mm (1/8") out of Acrylic. More details at

http://www.utopiamechanicus.com/article ... e-display/
http://www.utopiamechanicus.com/article ... e-display/

and a video of it in action at

http://www.utopiamechanicus.com/article ... nal-gears/

davep

Postby Curkin459 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:12 pm

Here is my last of 3 entries for this month. Hope you guys enjoy it!

This is a custom cigar box I made for my friend's grooms men for his wedding today. Just finished in the nick of time! Each box has a different name on the front for the person it belongs to. I designed the logo, type face and the box itself. It is cut from .261" cedar. This was tricky to cut. Took me 3 weeks to figure out how to get through the wood without ashy edges. I had to soak the wood for 3 days to get it saturated enough so the edges wouldn't ash when cut. I think it turned out really nice! I used my router to grind in the grooves for the lid. The lid is a friction fit and comes out with slight downward pressure.

I also designed and made the cigar bands myself. I made a custom stamp on my laser cutter and stamp clear ink on paper. Then put embossing powder over the dust and heated it to adhere it to the paper. Then I made a custom jig to align the bands in my laser cutter and cut the bands out with the laser as well. Alot of laser work that I couldn't have done any other cost effective way!

I love my new laser and can't wait to post more cool projects!
Attachments
cigar_box_2.jpg
cigar_box_1.jpg
Curkin459

Postby colinmcilvaine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm

I have begun using the 40w laser to push the limits of scale model production in institutional and professional scenic design for the theatre. By reducing material cost, increasing detail, and generating many manifestations of a single production's design, we are integrating the creative team into the world of the show much faster than before.

Traditional 3D models and physical scale models have been limited by time spent on construction vs. time spent collaborating and designing. With the 40w laser and perforated/folded walls, the 1/4" (as well as the rarely used but easily shipped 1/8") model are reaching new heights as they become perfected modes of scenic design communication.

Thanks so much for this amazing tool!
Attachments
Delicate Balance.jpg
colinmcilvaine

Postby FrivolousEngineering » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:00 am

Since last August we've been making & selling the Ultimate Useless Machine using our Full Spectrum 40 watt laser:
Mostly 1/8" acrylic, as well as 3/16 and some wood.

Please check out our Useless Blog: http://frivolousengineering.com/

Cheers,
Brett @ FrivolousEngineering.com
FrivolousEngineering

Postby dougmsbbs » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:43 pm

100% working wooden fishing reel, designed and built by me. All parts cut on my 40watt hobby laser.
Even has a drag system so hooking that big one won't tear it apart!
I call it the center pivot mini, as it's only 2 3/4" long by 1 3/4" inch tall.
Attachments
ReelModel2.jpg
dougmsbbs

Postby Philzero » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:23 am

Hi,

this is our wedding invitation card, made using a 40W hobby laser. It is a A5 folded white heavy paper card, into which we lasered a fine mesh of interconnected uppercase letters. This quite long (11min, 19% power, 100% speed) cut removes most of the paper, giving it a very lightweight feel and transpatent look. We chose 135 words (german) that are of importance for our joint life, some more, some less serious :) .They were organized in various random type sizes while making sure that the barely touching letters sill support the whole mesh structure. To add a touch of color, we used an orange inlay and glued a small red stone onto the card.

Greetings from Switzerland,
Anneke & Philip

Invitation 1.jpg
Invitation card with inlay

Invitation 2.jpg
wedding invitation against Zurich sunset in background.
Philzero

PreviousNext

Return to Direct Print PCB Inkjet Products